Saturday, January 4, 2014

wrapping paper

It's been over a year now that Barbara passed away.  The littlest things make memories of her or Granny pop into my head.  Today is my sister's birthday.  I was wrapping a gift for her, the Whole Foods Market Cookbook (yum), and Adi found a roll of festive wrapping paper to use.  Instantly it reminded me of Barbara.  After she had passed away, we were going through her things and emptying her house and there were many items that I grabbed, I just couldn't see throwing them away.  I grabbed her large collection of wrapping paper.  Barbara had a box full of brightly colored wrapping paper for every possible occasion
Adi the sugar plum fairy and Barbara

Theo helping Barbara rake
.  As I sat wrapping the gift for my sister, I reflected on the personality of the person who bought the paper, who had such a stock of wrapping paper in her garage so she would be prepared to give a gift for any occasion.  Who had definite ideas about what was proper, and giving a gift that wasn't wrapped was most likely not proper in Barbara's proper English upbringing.  A small gift, this wrapping paper.  To remind me of such a loving soul who touched my life..... thinking of Barbara tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment