Sunday, March 3, 2013

You’re my blue sky… you’re my sunny day!



      The skiing this winter has been spectacular.  Really superb.  It might be because I haven’t had a season pass for a *few* years, since long before I became a mother to Theo, who is now 9 and Adi, who is now 7.  In my 20 and 30’s before I became a mom I was excited about backcountry skiing with my dogs.  I didn’t own a ski pass and didn’t want one.  And then, after I became a Mom, Howelsen Hill was our mecca.  We would spend every weekend over at Howelsen Hill, lugging children up the Poma and making laps through the “Bald Eagle Forest” (named after a favorite episode of Little Einsteins) and on Mile Run.  Show me a momma that lugs both of her children up the Poma at once and I’ll show you what mountain women are made of.  We are tough and tenacious.  Riding up the Howelsen Hill Poma carrying two children is HARD!  And then, for the last few years, my kids have had passes to the ski area (it’s free up until you are six) and I’ve gone a few times when I’ve gotten my hands on a free ticket.  Last year after it took Adi and I over 1 ½ HOURS to ski down one tiny little section of Vagabond (for you old downhillers out there, where the jump used to be) I enrolled Adi in the SSWSC recreational program on Saturday mornings.  She loved it so much that we did it again this year too.  And, because Adi is no longer free, I scrimped and saved and bought us all passes.  To the big mountain.  And we’ve enjoyed them thoroughly.  Everyone is finally confident enough to SKI.  And enjoy it.  Together.  As a family.  We can all have fun together.  It’s been 9 years in the making I tell ‘ya.  And now, I am reminded about how blue the sky looks riding up Priest Creek lift with the white trees all around.  Really, there is nothing prettier.  And I get to share it with my kids.  Lucky Lucky me.  Happy Skiing!

No comments:

Post a Comment